Sunday Dinner: Baked Chicken Leg Dinner Recipe

I love my Sunday night dinners because I don't book anything on Sunday so I have time to relax and cook or bake if I feel in the mood.  I used to cook instant noodles or not use recipes when I was eating solo but recently I realized that I can have a gourmet meal for one.  And tonight I did just that.  I even had a glass of white wine to go with my dinner. 

Money Saving Tip:  Chicken legs were on sale at the store so I was able to get a family pack of 4 chicken legs for $6.  Wow!  So now, I'm making my gourmet chicken leg dinner. 

Baked  Chicken Leg Dinner Recipe

Baked Chicken Leg
4 chicken legs with back attached (family pack)
chicken spice rub
salt and pepper

I basically followed the baking instructions from Simply Recipes Classic Baked Chicken but used chicken spice rub with salt and pepper to season it.  Bake in 400 degree oven for 30 mins.  Turn down to 375 degrees for 10 mins (for the portion sizes that I was using).


Parsnip Puree
After the chicken is in the oven, I chopped 4 potatoes & 5 parsnips and boiled on medium heat in a large pot for 30 mins.  (same cooking time as the chicken).  Strain and return to pot.  Add butter and mash together. 

Broccoli
As the parsnip and potatoes are boiling, I blanched a broccoli head in the water.  I then rinsed under cold water to stop the cooking and chopped into large bit size pieces.  When the chicken is done, I heated up the broccoli by cooking on medium high heat with a dollop of butter.

Gravy
I used the juices from the chicken to make the gravy.  I added chopped mushrooms, 1 tbsp flour to thicken and freeze dried parsley.