Weeknight Dinner: Seared Pork Chops with Mushroom Sauce Recipe

I have to admit that I am addicted to Chatelaine recipes right now.  This is the 2nd recipe that I've tried this week and both on weeknights.  That means that they have simple ingredients and the instructions are simple enough to try after a day at work. 

Now I'm not sure if I'm buying larger portions of meat or that I prefer well done instead of medium.  I found the cooking instructions for the pork was too short.  I seared the pork in the pan until it was well done.  I found that since there is the sauce on top, it doesn't matter if the pork is a bit dry.  I'd rather have well done meat than to get sick because of uncooked meat.   That would be a personal preference.

I'm not sure if I used the right type of cream but my sauce didn't turn out as creamy as I thought it would.  In the end it didn't matter because my pork chops were dry so it was nice to have a saucy mushroom sauce.  The apple juice blends nicely with pork.

I also didn't have fresh chives on hand so I used some freeze dried parsley instead.  It gave it colour but not necessarily the extra flavour that chives would.  Overall it I still liked the dinner and complemented it with mixed greens on the side.  Lovely gluten free meal.  



Seared Pork Chops with Mushroom Sauce from Chatelaine

  • 4 centre-loin pork chops, 1/2 inch thick, about 113 g each
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 onion, sliced
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 227 g pkg sliced button mushrooms
  • 1/2 cup apple juice
  • 1/4 cup 35% cream
  • 1/4 cup snipped chives
  1. Heat a large frying pan over medium-high. Sprinkle chops with salt and season with pepper. Add oil, then chops to pan. Cook until golden, about 4 min per side. Transfer to a plate.
  2. Add onion, garlic and mushrooms to pan. Cook until soft, about 3 min. Add juice and simmer until absorbed, 6 to 8 min. Add cream. Cook until thickened slightly, about 1 min. Stir in chives. Return chops and any juices to pan to heat through.