Japanese Takoyaki (Octopus Fritter)

My Japanese friend is a wonderful cook and an expert in my mind with Asian cooking.  I love Japanese food but it's always hard to cook it at home.  It always looks so complicated.  So when my friend offered to teach me how to make Takoyaki (Octopus Fritter), I jumped at the occasion.  Usually I'm only able to taste these Japanese specialties at special Japanese events such as Sakura Japan Fair

Let's get back to the cooking lesson.  You need Electric Japanese Takoyaki Pan - Medium Sized (18 molds) - Made in Japan first.  Here's a Takoyaki Recipe that you can start with and here's what we did.  I have to say that it was incredibly fun to participate in this Japanese Takoyaki lesson.  Great for parties with friends!




First we organized the ingredients.  The pan is heating up and the fillers are already prepped.  There are 4 bowls:  minced cabbage, chopped green onions, octopus, and prawns.


Second you put the batter and fill it up.  We made two kinds of takoyaki.  One traditional Japanese takoyaki with octopus and then our second batch we made with prawns instead.

Once the octopus fritters have cooked enough, you use a wooden skewer to turn them so the other side is cooked and nicely browned. 

Then you do the final topping of Japanese mayonnaise and takoyaki sauce. 

Enjoy them!  Yummy!  I can't wait for my next Japanese cooking lesson.