Hong Kong Style Chicken Curry Recipe

For Christmas my friend gave me a 1 year subscription to Chatelaine magazine.  This was a wonderful gift because I would never buy magazines myself.  I browse through them in the store but the single magazine cost is too expensive and most content can be found on the internet these days. 

I love practical gifts and I have to say that Chatelaine has great recipes that really suit my taste.  They use simple ingredients that are cost effective and can cook easily on a weekday evening for dinner.

My time saving tip is to cook enough to feed 4-6 so you have enough for dinner, brown bag lunch, and to share with friends.  Last week when I saw my friend's large casserole on twitter, I suggested we do a lunch swap.  It has worked out perfectly.  She brought lunch for me last week and now it's my turn this week.  It's a great money saving tip because instead of spending money on lunch, I can have healthier homemade lunches without doing all of the cooking.  Eating another person's cooking is almost like going out, you get the flavours and style of that individual chef;.  Try it yourself.  Grab a lunch buddy and do a lunch swap.  It's fun and affordable. 

Hong Kong Style Chicken Curry from Chatelaine


Ingredients
  •   2 tbsp vegetable oil
  • 1 onion, sliced
  • 2 tbsp curry powder
  • 8 skinless, boneless chicken thighs
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 398 mL can coconut milk
  • 2 large carrots, sliced into coins (3 small-medium carrots)
  • 2 medium potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/2 inch chunks
  • 1 cup frozen peas 
  • 1/2 cup chopped cilantro (I omitted this in mine)
  1. Heat a large wide frying pan over medium-high. Add oil, then onion and curry powder. Cook until onion starts to soften, 3 min. Sprinkle chicken with salt, then add to pan. Stir until coated.
  2. Add coconut milk, carrots and potatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium. Gently boil, covered, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender, about 15 min. Remove lid and continue boiling until liquid is slightly thickened, about 5 more min. Stir in peas and cilantro and cook for 1 more min. Serve with rice.

Cooking Tips:  Make sure to check your chicken so it is cooked long enough.  Depending on your pan you may need to cook for 45 mins (instead of 30 mins). This is enough to serve 6 people.   Mine will be split into dinners and brown bag lunches.