Mason Jar Monday - Raspberry Vanilla Refrigerator Oatmeal

Breakfast may be the most important meal of the day but I find that it is also the hardest meal to remember to eat.  How do you have a fast meal on the go?  When I started making mason jar breakfasts it eased the pain.  I didn't have to cook or prepare anything in the morning, just grab a spoon and eat.  If I was running really short of time, I could even just grab a spoon and the jar and hit the road. 

I love the granola mason jar breakfasts but wanted to try something new to add variety to the morning.  I discovered this recipe from Yummylife and thought I would give it a try:  http://www.theyummylife.com/recipes/224

This is a refrigerator oatmeal recipe that I modified to what was in my kitchen.  Instead of raspberry jam and fresh raspberries since they are not in season in the winter, I used frozen raspberries to make a sauce.  I didn't have chia seeds so I omitted them but if I made this again, I would definitely add them to give a different texture to the oatmeal.  Refrigerator oatmeal is VERY filling and I found it difficult to finish a jar.  I'd recommend to put refrigerator oats in smaller size jars.  This was a healthy recipe and good for variety but I have to admit that I still prefer the granola mason jars.  Perhaps I'll try this one again and follow the recipe more carefully in the summer when there are fresh raspberries available. It's worth a try! 

  • 1/4 cup uncooked old fashioned rolled oats
  • 1/3 cup skim milk
  • 1/4 cup low-fat Greek yogurt
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons dried chia seeds
  • 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 tablespoon raspberry jam, preserves, or spread
  • 1/4 to 1/3 cup raspberries (cut each berry in half), or enough to fill jar

Directions
In a half pint (1 cup) jar, add oats, milk, yogurt, chia seeds, vanilla, and raspberry jam. Put lid on jar and shake until well combined. Remove lid, add raspberries and stir until mixed throughout. Return lid to jar and refrigerate overnight or as long as 2-3 days. Eat chilled. 



Shake it Up!